International Reggae Day is a 24 hour global media and music lifestyle festival hosted on JulyOne by Kingston – the home of Jamaican music and supported by participating Jamaican and international media and a network of lifestyle events and brands around the world.
In addition to the 24 hour global media festival hosted by King Jamaican media featuring programming specials, playlists etc, IRD JulyOne events for Kingston as the host city include –
- Merritone Rock Steady Party @ Waterfalls | Vinyl Thursdays Rock Steady Party (Thursday June 30)
- IRD Kingston Creative Industries Conference @ Jamaica Pegasus (10-6pm) – Developing Kingston’s Creative Economy | Navigating the Digital Content Economy | sponsored by WIPO
- Endorsed Themed Parties | Concerts including Trenchtown Live | Clarendon Live https://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=FBd2c_nxOw0&feature= youtu.be | Juice TV Rock Steady Party || Heineken Startime (July 2)
- Experience Reggae 360X – lifestyle retail brand campaign
- Yoga 1Love – meditation theme
- Tree Planting – social media campaignIRD 2016 theme is the Salute to the 50th Anniversary of Rock Steady, a genre whose contribution to the Sounds of Jamaica is immeasurable and catalogue timeless. Rock Steady it continues to resonate globally, significantly impacting the universal appeal of Jamaican music. The brief but brilliant period beginning in 1966 established the birth of the genre’s its mass appeal. The genre known as Rock Steady, has produced some of Jamaica’s most internationally respected and beloved masterpiece recordings, paving the way for the evolution of Reggae music.
The Salute to Rock Steady 50th will be celebrated via participating media including radio stations across Jamaica | (IRIE | KOOL | RJR | FAME | HITZ | BESS | Sun City | Fyah | Roots | Mega Jamz…), Sirius Satellite Radio, Soweto TV, RJR and others who will host strategic interviews and feature special playlists highlighting the best of the genre’s catalogue of hits along with the roots and branches of Jamaican music from Ska to Reggae to Dancehall – old school to renaissance classics.VP and 17 North Parade in association with International Reggae Day Salutes the 50th Anniversary of Rock Steady (1966-2016). To celebrate, VP Records and 17 North Parade imprint released a ‘First Class Rock Steady‘ album with special 7″ vinyl singles box set collection with 14 classic Rock Steady gems as a Record Store Day 2016 exclusive. The collection will be followed by the release of a 2 CD (30 track) collection for International Reggae Day on JulyOne.As Kingston was recently designation as a UNESCO Music City, IRD is positioned and ready to continue its work to strengthen KINGSTON’s positioning in the global marketplace as the Home of Jamaica Music and a global creative mecca. This year’s annual IRD Kingston Creative Industries Conference sponsored by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), JAMCOPY, Phase 3 and Bridget Sandals, will feature WIPO guest speaker David Stopps as well as leading Jamaican industry professionals and stakeholders to examine trends, challenges, opportunities, strategies and best practices in two sessions themed –
- ‘Developing Kingston’s Creative Economy‘ in the morning session targeting city stakeholders (10-1pm)
- ‘Navigating the Digital Content Economy’ targeting stakeholders in the creative industries (2-6pm)IRD JulyOne global celebrations will include a mix of media specials, annual Kingston Creative Industries Conference, media panels, visual art exhibit, parties, retail specials and live performances in 35 participating cities around the world. The official network of international events
planned for this year’s IRD celebrations will include the four main cities launched in the last two years – NY | Honolulu | Ft. Lauderdale | Miami as part of the network of 35 strategic cities worldwide including Beijing, R io de Janeiro, Mexico City, London, Paris, Geneva, Barcelona, Lisbon etc. DubForceRadio through its sound system network, will host a number of JulyOne events worldwide.IRD NYC party presented by LargeUp.com and Spur Tree, will include a special acoustic performance by Toots & the Maytals as well as music by Rice & Peas and sponsored by Blackwell Rum.The Experience Reggae 360X retail campaign will include retails specials from premium lifestyle brands including restaurants from EITS Cafe in Kingston to Spur Tree in NYC and Rudies in London on JulyOne. Venues and retailers from the IRD Kingston host hotel the Jamaica Pegasus to premiere ladies design footwear brand Bridget Sandals will offer retail specials on JulyOne for customers wearing Reggae colours. Fans are encouraged to wear Reggae colours, listen/watch Jamaican music, attend Reggae event, buy Reggae, support music education in Jamaica via Alpha Boys School and post | share | like | retweet their content using the #ThisIsMyReggae. Fans and event hosts around the world are supporting the IRD JulyOne tree planting initiative while yogis worldwide will be meditating on 1Love for JulyOne.